Hey Lisa,
Yesterday was amazing. The crowds were overwhelming and it was empowering to see how many people came from all over the country to be a part of history. My friend Rachel and I were behind the Capitol reflecting pool and some trees, but had a great view of one of the many jumbotron screens so we had a lot of fun with that. The view of the massive crowd was awesome to see on the big screen. Hope everyone in the world was watching too! It was definitely exciting to be there. :)Mimi:
Hey, Lisa—We had an amazing time at the inauguration. Bob and I were so thrilled to be there. Though we were actually quite young (hard to believe, I know) during the Civil Rights movement in the 60s, the images conveyed on our television screens and the conversations that were daily fare in our homes in those days were truly formative experiences for us. While I was joyful at the event, in some ways I felt like an outsider as I watched African Americans of all ages in the crowd (and there were many!) living a moment and experiencing feelings about which I can only guess. But I also felt very included by the generous spirit of the day that was exhibited by almost everyone of every race with whom I came into contact. And that observation was shared by everyone I know who was there. I hope I don’t sound like a cliché when I say that the sense of hope was pervasive. I have never felt this optimistic and proud to be an American in my adult life. I’d love to read your blog and see how Germans are viewing this time in our history. Melinda
Ich wollte mich auf diesem Blog nie politisch äußern, weil er solch eine Plattform nie bieten sollte, aber ich dachte, es wäre ganz nett, mal zwei Leute zu fragen, die bei dieser Massenveranstaltung dabei gewesen sind und was sie davon halten. Eigentlich wollte ich Jon haben, der einen kleinen Aufsatz dazu schreibt, aber er hat es an seine Tante und seine Cousine weitergeleitet, die selbst auf der Mall waren, als die Einführung statt fand. Ich überlege mir noch, ob ich selbst noch was dazu schreibe, aber hier also erstmal die Meinungen von zwei "real Americans".
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen